Sunday, January 17, 2010

Creepers at Summer Camp

Okay, this is actually pretty funny.

For those of you who are Netflix virgins, let me be the first to tell you that you can enter an actor's name in the search field and it will provide you with a very nice list of films which include said actor.

Remember how I said that my scientific film list was based upon a Wikipedia entry, said Wikipedia being highly regarded as second only to the New England Journal of Medicine for its scientific integrity? Well, Netflix came up with an RDJR movie that wasn't on Wikipedia. It's called "Stagedoor" (2005) and is said to feature "future superstars Natalie Portman and RDJR" among others.

Hmmm, I thought. However, in the interest of completion, synergy, chi, chi-ness, chi-ality, and (insert your appropriate jargon here), I added said film to my list.

Have I mentioned yet that my "list" is actually a series of 3x5 cards, which I carry in my purse, in a cool red leather card holder?

Anyhoo, back to my story. I streamed the movie (glutton for punishment, I know) and watched it yesterday. It was a documentary - I love documentaries - set at a theater camp in the Catskills, where little snots gather for 3 weeks every summer to compare the size of their angst and receive an education as to the finer arts from people with accents. Evidently there aren't enough camps like this in England to keep the thespians from skipping the pond for work.

Since it was released only a few years ago, I presumed that RDJR and the other famous types were not actually CAMPERS. They have names for middle-aged men who hang around summer camps, and that would be an entirely different type of documentary, now wouldn't it. Anyway, I figured that those listed in the summary would, oh, provide some commentary about the camp, the life of a performer, blah blah blah, something like that. So I watched and waited.

And watched. And waited. I even watched the credits to see if he was the producer or something. Guess who was a no-show?

I must say that I did really enjoy the film. If you are interested in theater and reality TV, mash those together and out would pop this documentary.

Turns out that RDJR and Natalie Portman etal are ALUMNI of this camp...and evidently some copy writer for Netflix put a nice little spin on that so that the DVD would see some action.

While I feel like I spent yesterday afternoon stalking Sasquatch, it still was a good experience - and I saw a film that I never would have viewed otherwise. And that, dear reader, is what this project is all about.

Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment