Sunday, September 12, 2010

Wake Me Up When September Ends

Today is September 12th, which means that yesterday was September 11th. I worked behind a cash register yesterday, just like it was any other Saturday. But it wasn't. It was September 11th.

I spoke with a very nice man visiting from Canada with his daughter. It seems prices are much better down here than they are in British Columbia. Having a wonderful vacation in a foreign country. I smiled, I nodded, I said the appropriate things. Behind my eyes, I was thinking, "Today is September 11th. You aren't from here. Do you have any idea what it means to be an American today?" I actually found myself wishing they would just go home to that country that has the financial and strategic privilege of bordering America, because today is September 11th and they shouldn't be here today, having a good time.

Irrational, yes. Quite. And this year it's hitting me much harder than it has in the past, because my youngest is now old enough to comprehend the enormity of what happened. And you know the drill. Starting around September 9th, all the channels start showing their documentaries, their news reels, whatever else they pull out this time of year of that day. But for my son, this is brand-new stuff. He sits, glued to the TV, watching planes hit buildings. Watching people jump to their deaths. Watching buildings crumble to the ground in a dust-cloud roar. His eyes wide, his mouth slightly open, he stares in fascination that this actually happened in his own country, during his own lifetime. It's all new to him. And because I love him, it makes it all new to me too. And it hurts.

1 comment:

  1. I feel -- um... Well, I don't really know a good word. I remember it like it was yesterday because I was home on maternity leave with Scoot and I remember calling William to tell him what happened. I saw it LIVE cuz we watched CNN in the mornings. The 2 older ones don't have major memories-- just what a TV show brings up.

    I don't like that there isn't a major Memorial Type Holiday or something about it. That is something we, as a country, don't need to EVER forget.

    ReplyDelete