Thursday, January 21, 2010

Baby did a bad, bad thing

The streak has ended. I took a hit today.

So, I've been on this "go to the gym, get healthy, and win the physique challenge" kick at my local athletic club. I've been eating chicken and brown rice A LOT. My friend Laura calls this the "dog food diet" and I think she may be onto something. The finer things in life - latte's, Pepsi, Hostess powdered sugar and raspberry doughnuts - are not part of the Dog Food Diet, and are not conducive to my new kick. I miss the finer things.

You may recall that I said on New Year's Eve, that I was giving up my daily latte'. That was three weeks ago today.

Three. Weeks.

So, today I'm at work, in a filthy bad mood, and it occurs to me that latte's, in and of themselves, are not evil. In fact, they may be highly nutritious on a cellular level that has not yet been discovered by modern science. Man. Wouldn't I feel stupid for having denied myself this wonder elixir out of ignorance as to its positive qualities?

I also ran a calorie count for the day, and as of 5:00, had only consumed 440 calories. I'm guessing that this was a contributing factor to my filthy bad mood. Anyhow, I became concerned. What if my blood sugar dropped so low that I dropped into a diabetic coma as I was driving home, causing me to veer off the road and run into a pack of orphans picking up trash on the side of the road? In the dark? In January?

So, out of a deep-seated concern for proper nutrition and my love of humankind, I hit the espresso stand on the way home.

I wish I could say that it tasted like dog spit. I wish I could say I took one sip and threw the rest out the window into the snowbank. Oh, no, baby. It was good. It was REAL good. I sucked it down so fast I caused a temporary wind tunnel over my Blazer, causing all 4 tires to momentarily leave the ground.

Now, 90 minutes later - I'm great! Fabulous! Let's go do something! And even with my visit to the local dealer, still WAY under my daily calorie count - no orphans injured - possible miracle drug whizzing through my veins.

I swear, the things I do for science.

Tina

1 comment:

  1. Oh the joys of coffee! :D
    And have you ever tried quinoa? It tastes better than brown rice and is better for you.

    ReplyDelete