Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Review #10 - "The Outsider" (2006)

A summary, courtesy of Netflix:

"Following maverick writer-director James Toback through the process of making his 2004 drama When Will I Be Loved, this documentary provides a fascinating look at the world of filmmaking."

Ah, another documentary. Tina is a happy camper.

Let me preface my review by telling you, dear reader, that I've never heard of James Toback. Evidently he's a director of "personal films" (Woody Allen's label -who, by the way, I've heard of) rather than "commercial films". To me, this means he's probably a self-indulgent windbag. Since I don't think he's following this blog, I don't feel terribly ill-mannered for saying that.

I also have never heard of the film "When Will I Be Loved," which featured Neve Campbell, formerly of 'Party of Five' fame. Coincidentally, I don't think I ever viewed that show, either.

I know what you are thinking - this is not starting well. Hang on to your skirts, kiddos. All works out in the end.

Our Project link - Toback also directed 3 RDJR films (at least) which shall remain nameless at this time, in the interest of science, as I haven't reviewed them yet, and there may be more than 3 as I might have lost count. Okay, I confess, I really wasn't paying attention to the number of movies. Three is a guess. Geesh.

Anyhow - the first 2 minutes or so of this documentary feature several raunchy sex snippets from some of Toback's films which, frankly, I could have done without. So if you rent this puppy, skip that part. Or don't, depending on what you are into. Shame on you - what would your mother think?

If you've ever wondered what exactly happens behind that mysterious veil of filmmaking, you'd probably enjoy this movie. The film featured in the documentary was filmed in 14 days, largely unscripted, so it's hardly "a day in the life of your average superstar" deal. But I thought it was cool.

If you rent this one - watch Mike Tyson's commentary. It was easily my favorite part. Man oh man. I won't spoil it for you, but to a former psych major, it was fascinating. Like a master's thesis with an eye tattoo.

Yup, I enjoyed it. Next week, I probably won't remember much about it. So I'm going for a 7.5.

Good night to all - it's late and tomorrow is cardio day. Plus, my 18-year old daughter just strolled by and said, "YOU'RE up late" like I'm Grandma Moses or something.

Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment