Monday, January 18, 2010

Review #9 - U.S. Marshals

This one came from Blockbuster, so here's the "back of the case" summary:

"We are initiating a hard-target search for a fugitive in an ever-widening perimeter. We will navigate swamps, prowl Manhattan streets, search every house and doghouse. And since Marshal Sam Gerard leads the hunt, we will experience suspense, action, and daring twists every step of the way. Returning to his Oscar-winning role from The Fugitive, Tommy Lee Jones joins Wesley Snipes and Robert Downey Jr. in delivering adrenaline-rush excitement. The chase is highlighted by an out-of-control 727, a death match in a ship's cargo hold, a 12-story plunge onto a moving train and more heart-pounding sequences."

Well, sign me up!

My love of the romantic comedy is widely known and undisputed. Only slightly less well-known is my love of the action/adventure/cop/lots of crashes movie. And Tommy Lee Jones? Get outta Dodge. If only I had the Trio of Movie Goodness to chow down on, this would easily be the highlight of my month.

I've seen The Fugitive at least fifty times. I watch it every...single...time I see it on the dial. (I guess the "dial" reference is a bit archaic, isn't it.)

Harrison Ford: "I didn't kill my wife!"

Tommy Lee Jones: "I don't care!"

How can you not love that?

Well, this film isn't up to The Fugitive's standard, but I adored TLJ's character and am glad to see it reprised. Our hero RDJR plays an agent who actually a bad guy - that takes, oh 35 seconds to figure out - and Wesley Snipes gives another of his tax-free turns as the usual "I'm on the run but I've been framed" guy. This, coincidentally, is the same defense he offered to the IRS. Go figure.

But - there's a cool plane crash. And Tommy Lee Jones. And a bunch of cars flip over and get squished.

However, in the interest of science - I want you to experience this film as I did. Rent it, put it in your DVD player, get comfy, and hit Play. At that point, hire your next door neighbor's kid to stand next to you and say MOM MOM MOM MOM MOM MOM MOM MOM MOM for 131 minutes.

Sigh. My kingdom for 131 minutes of peace.

I give this one an 8.

Tina

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely LOVED this movie, but you're right...the first one was better.

    If I was able to do the experiment you're doing...I'd pick Tommy Lee Jones to watch FER SURE!! He's on my "freebie" list!

    ReplyDelete