Friday, January 1, 2010

Netflix? How about NOTflix?

So, in the interest of science, I signed up for Netflix and immediately filled my queue with RDJR movies. I now have 52 on my list. Unfortunately, Netflix doesn't have every movie on the Wikipedia list.

Did you, dear reader, get that? NETFLIX DOES NOT HAVE EVERY MOVIE ON MY LIST. This caused a temporary blip on my radar, similar to that feeling you get on your way home from work on a holiday weekend when you remember that you have about an eighth of a roll of toilet paper left to last you through said holiday weekend. But, alas, do not worry. I have 364 days to locate the other (quite obscure) movies. And I bought 24 rolls of toilet paper yesterday.

Much to my surprise, Netflix had a few films which were NOT on my Wikipedia list, so I hereby add them to the Project. Most appear to be documentaries.

Anyhoo....

Whilst waiting for my first movie to arrive in the mail, I thought I'd try streaming a movie. This option is available on, oh, 8 or so of the films. Since there's nothing on TV today except football, and I am anxious to make my contribution to science, I picked one from my queue and hit "play".

Dear reader - as you all know where I live, and most of you live in very close proximity - if you are a Netflix member, and have this option - please don't frustrate yourself as I have. Learn from my mistakes, Grasshopper.

I selected the movie "Heart and Souls", released in 1993 and classified as a "romantic comedy." I made it halfway through before I decided that I either needed to give up the streaming thing, or I was going to launch my laptop out into the 6 inches of snow in the front yard.

Suffice it to say that my internet connection is 'inadequate' for this Netflix feature. THE LAST 5 MINUTES I WATCHED TOOK 30 MINUTES TO STREAM. Not conducive to a pleasurable viewing experience, let alone scientific research.

I won't say another word about this film, and what I thought of the part I actually got to see, until I get to watch the whole thing in my official review. Am seriously considering a trip to Blockbuster so I can see the rest...assuming that they are open today....hmm.

What I will NOT do is get my meth in a cup from my local barista. My willpower is iron. Steel. Diamond. Unmeltable at any temperature which may be acheived on the planet Earth. If his espresso stand were actually OPEN today, I would be able to demonstrate this by casually driving by on my way to Blockbuster without stopping.

ahem.

1 comment:

  1. Hey you gave it a good try! Now you know it doesn't work. Every good scientist has to explore every option. Now you can cross that on OFF of your list.
    As far as the latte kick ... I would need to see proof of you driving BY not STOPPING. Maybe I'll install a hidden camera in your car...CK

    ReplyDelete