Friday, January 1, 2010

Review #1 - The Soloist (2009)

Well, here it is. My first official review....

I just finished watching The Soloist, which stars RDJR and Jamie Foxx. The film is based on a true story, which for me is always a plus.

RDJR is LA Times reporter Steve Lopez looking for a story. He stumbles across homeless, schitzo musical genius Nathaniel Ayers (Jamie Foxx). Lopez, in his attempt to both make a living and to "do right" by the homeless guy, proceeds to "improve" Ayers' existence by getting him a cello, lessons, an apartment, etc...most of which are not well received.

I liked this movie because RDJR's performance was so on-spot and Jamie Foxx was, well, amazing. In fact, it seems like just about everything Jamie Foxx has done lately is amazing, isn't it.

However, dear reader - the film takes the easy way out in the area of faith (ain't it always the way?). Thanks to Lopez, Ayers ends up in a large homeless shelter/services facility. There's a large florescent Bible verse on the wall, and no other mention of Christ. That makes the people who work in this shelter the "good" Christians. Conversely, there's the obligatory "nutso" Christian, complete with fish symbol on his cello case and crappy tripe dialogue you'd expect. I can't remember the actor's name, he was Mr. Collins in Pride & Prejudice - so he has the "creepy" factor to enhance his image. So typical.

On a scale of 1-10, I'd give this movie an 8.5.


Post-script - let me just say that it is completely unfair that RDJR has the most amazing eyelashes I've ever seen, and he's a guy. I, on the other hand, look like I've been suffering from amoebic dysentery for 6 months if I don't put on 2 coats of mascara immediately upon rising in the morning. Heavy Sigh.

1 comment:

  1. OMGawsh! I was just thinking that about his eyelashes last night while we watched Sherlock! I have not seen the Soloist yet...might have to go and rent that one.

    ReplyDelete