Saturday, January 30, 2010

Review #15 - Chaplin: The Movie (1992)

Thank you, Netflix, for your usual succinct summary:

"Through flashbacks and other nonlinear devices, director Richard Attenborough recounts comic icon Charlie Chaplin's (Robert Downey Jr.) poignant journey through triumph, failure, infamy and government persecution. The large cast of characters includes George Hayden (Anthony Hopkins), Douglas Fairbanks (Kevin Kline) and Chaplin's mentally unbalanced mother (Geraldine Chaplin). Downey's performance earned both Oscar and Golden Globe nominations."

I recall when this film was released. I was pregnant with bambino #3 (who ended up being a bambina) and remember thinking, "gee, I'd really like to see that." But, with 2 little ones at home and one on the way, that just never happened. Then my thought stream changed to, "gee, I'd like to rent that."

Okay, so going on 18 years later, I rented it. What can I say, I'm just a wee bit behind.

I went into this film knowing absolutely nothing about Charlie Chaplin. I had no clue that he underwent the Commie Curse that hit Hollywood, and for him, it lasted for decades. I didn't know he had a thing for teenage girls. Geesh, I didn't even know he was English. So this film was a learning experience.

RDJR was nominated for an Oscar and, well, he earned it. In fact, he's been nominated twice, and both times, he's been robbed. I mean, really. Have you SEEN Tropic Thunder? My man was ROBBED.

Was this film good? Yes. Was it great? I dunno. I usually rank "greatness" based upon the likelihood that I'll want to see the movie over and over. I've seen Chaplin. I really, really liked Chaplin. I don't think I'll watch it again. I would like to say that I think the film would be exquisite if it were made today, now that our hero has a little more life experience under his belt.

I'm going to give it an 8, which will probably earn me daggers from those of you drinkin' the Haterade...but I'm a scientist, I can handle it if you can dish it.

No comments:

Post a Comment