Sunday, January 3, 2010

Review #2 - Sherlock Holmes (2009)

Oh, this is sad. I was just putting the finishing touches on my review, and I accidentally deleted it.

This never would have happened on paper.

Anyhoo - the show must go on, correct? So here we go again.

For those of you who have been living on Mars for the past few months, and therefore missed the media blitz - RDJR and Jude Law made a little movie called "Sherlock Holmes" which was released right around Christmas 2009.

I was sure I'd LOVE this movie. Now that I've seen it - I LIKE this movie.

The relationship between Holmes and Watson was portrayed beautifully. I don't think RDJR and Law could have been any better. There were lots of fight scenes, chases, and explosions, which are 3 of my very favorite things.

Then we come to Irene Adler. "Who" you ask? Therein lies the problem.

Irene Adler - portrayed by Rachel McAdams, lookin' way too much like Sheena Easton circa 1985 - is utterly forgettable. We are supposed to believe that she and Holmes have a "history", but chemistry between them is zilch. I think Rachel fell flat in her performance, but to her credit, she didn't have much to work with. A little more focus on developing her storyline would have been nice. Her scenes, to me, felt like they were forced into the screenplay with a shoehorn and frankly just threw the film off its focus.

So, although I'd really love to give it a 9 or higher, I gotta go with 8.5. Sorry, dudes.

Tina

1 comment:

  1. I watched this last night for the first time. Wow, was your review dead on.

    ReplyDelete