Monday, January 4, 2010

Review #3 - Heart and Souls (1993)

Ah, so Ms. Postmistress brought me my first Netflix movie today. It's the one I attempted to stream the other day, much to my displeasure and disgruntlement. But enough discussion of that recent unpleasantness.

Did you know that Netflix puts this sweet little sticker on the DVD jacket, summarizing the movie? How handy for us movie reviewers/scientists.

So, here's what Netflix says:

"Hollow-hearted yuppie Robert Downey Jr. gets hot-wired to the ghosts of four people who died as he was being born. Their time in limbo is drawing to a close, just when his girlfriend (Elisabeth Shue) grows tired of his commitment phobia. To fend off being dumped, Downey must help the phantasmic four (Tom Sizemore, Kyra Sedgewick, Alfre Woodard and Charles Grodin) fulfill their final wishes."

I enjoyed this one a lot more than I thought I would. First of all Alfre Woodard can read a Shoney's menu and make it sound like Maya Angelou. I love her voice and her manner. Secondly, I loved the fact that Elisabeth Shue wore a red dress with red tights and red shoes. Man, don't you miss the early 90's?

One detail left out of the netflix synopsis is that the four ghosts can jump into RDJR's body, ala Patrick Swazye and Whoopi Goldberg. Watching RDJR sashay around and kiss his boss on the top of his head during the middle of a business meeting, while being possessed by Kyra who was feelin' her oats - priceless.

Okay, it wasn't exactly Citizen Kane. But it was fun, and again, better than I thought it would be.

I'll go with a 7.5.

Until we meet again, my little chickens -

Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment