Friday, January 8, 2010

Review #4 - A Guide To Recognizing Your Saints (2006)

Okay, little chickens - here's the Netflix summary:

"Robert Downey Jr. stars in director Dito Montiel's autobiographical coming-of-age drama set in tough, blue-collar Queens, NY. While his young friends all seem to end up as junkies, inmates or corpses, Dito (Downey) miraculously escapes the same fate - a fact he can only attribute to divine intervention. The film's high-powered supporting cast includes Dianne Wiest, Chazz Palminteri, Eric Roberts and Rosario Dawson."

The part that Netflix leaves out - and I can only assume it's because it was written before Transformers, because duh, now he's a little better known than ERIC ROBERTS - is that Dito as a teen was portrayed by Shia LaBeouf.

What did I think of this movie? hmm.... Have you ever watched a movie that thought, "wow, that part was amazing..." only to find that the next scene leaves you scratching your head and looking at your watch? That's kinda how this movie was. One moment, I'm holding my breath without even realizing it...followed up in the next moment by a really - long - disappointing - exhale.

Shia - wow. I thought he was wonderful. RDJR - wow. I thought he was wonderful. You probably assumed I would say that, but it's actually true. After all, I'm not a psycho stalker- I'm a scientist, you know.

Rosario Dawson should get some sort of award for working the f-bomb into one scene at least 80 times. Do people actually talk like that? I was in the Navy, and I thought I'd heard it all. Evidently not.

Dianne Wiest - she's played "the mom" in every movie she's made since Footloose - opened the movie in what I think was the best scene in the film.

I cared what happened to Dito and the 2 actors who portrayed him hit the mark. But I didn't care what happened to anyone else. I don't think that's enough to carry a movie.

I give it a 7 because it's Friday and I'm feeling generous.

Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment