Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Good Night, and Good Luck...Staying Asleep

So, I've developed a great new little quirk. I go to bed at the normal time, take about an hour to fall asleep (don't worry yet, dear reader - that's normal) and then, BOING, wake up every single night at 2:30 a.m. I then stay awake until around 4:30, when sleep again claims me for a little while...and then, boom, Mr. Alarm Clock goes off.

I've tried Melatonin, which used to work, but no longer does. I've tried Tylenol PM, which cuts that initial hour of falling asleep down to about 30 minutes, but doesn't keep me asleep. As I can see it, my options are now either to start drinking, or go to the doctor and get some sleeping pills.

Neither option particularly appeals to me. I don't drink, never have been a drinker. Plus I'm too cheap to keep a steady stream of nice red wine flowing in my house. And the doctor's office? PLEASE. Do you know how many germs are in that place? I have to be comatose and unable to make my own medical decisions before I set foot in some germ-infested swine flu petri dish clinic.

Plus, then I'd become one of those pathetic souls who is ON SOMETHING. Ugh. "Hi, I'm Tina. I'd be really hot if I wasn't ON SOMETHING. However, since I have 'sleep issues', I'm ON SOMETHING to help and now my life revolves around that THING I'm ON."

An unhealthy relationship with medications, you say? MOI, dear reader? Point taken.

On a side note, I found someone on the internet who has a copy of "Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree" for sale. What, you ask, is that? Well, you will just have to endure the sweet agony of postponed gratification.

2 comments:

  1. I used to do that to. I guess I lost some of my 'hotness' when I got help and got "on something"... It helped with the "I GOTTA" voices I heard at night ("Tomorrow, I GOTTA go to the post office, then I GOTTA pick up...etc"). I haven't had too much trouble sleeping since starting the meds. Even my kids will say "Hey! Didja take your crazy pill today?" because they keep from me being so high-strung during the day. Can you CALL your DR and ask? Maybe go 1st thing in am?

    ReplyDelete
  2. have you tried waking up before 2:30 just to find out what is waking you up? I know, what if that is the night you were going to sleep all the way through? Just thought I'd ask, I had the same problem for a while, never heard the noise that woke me, turned out the neighbor switched to a late night shift and was making a lot of noise coming home at night. Probably to get even with my noisy night working husband. Anyway, after I knew what it was it didn't wake me anymore. Of course, having narcolepsy, I didn't have as much trouble as you getting back to sleep. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete