Thursday, March 25, 2010

Review #34 - The Singing Detective (2003)

For your consideration, from Netflix: "A Chicago novelist (Robert Downey Jr.) lies bedridden and feverish with an extreme case of psoriasis. Out of boredom, he rewords (in his own mind) the story of his first novel, The Singing Detective, putting himself in the role of the title character, who's in hot pursuit of Nazis in the 1940's. Based on the titular 1986 BBC miniseries, the movie co-stars Robin Wright Penn, Mel Gibson, Katie Holmes and Carla Gugino."

I must say...that pretty much sums it up. Except for the Nazis. There are no Nazis. When I read the summary, in anticipation of receiving this movie in the mail, I had a hard time wrapping my mind around the "concept." How about you, dear reader? You've read it - do you get it?

Yep, pretty strange film. I honestly don't know what to say, because I'm still not sure what I saw - other than lots of sex. (That I still recognize, although the memory is fading). Mel Gibson was funny...funny...funny. I love me some Mel, it's the 80's girl coming out.

And, as you can probably guess, if you've been on this little journey with me for 34 films - I liked this movie. I didn't love it. I'm not dying over it. But I liked it. Kinda how I like corn dogs. You know, sometimes you just really want a corn dog - but the other 364 days a year, you don't really think about them.

So, I'll go with a 7. That seems generous, but what can I say, I'm a benevolent girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment