Sunday, March 28, 2010

Review #35 - Iron Man (2008)

From the back of the box:

"Suit up for action with Robert Downey Jr. in the ultimate adventure movie you've been waiting for, Iron Man! When jet-setting genius-industrialist Tony Stark is captured in enemy territory, he builds a high-tech suit of armor to escape. Now, he's on a mission to save the world as a hero who's built, not born, to be unlike any other. Co-starring Gwyneth Paltrow, Terrence Howard and Jeff Bridges, it's a fantastic, high-flying journey that is hugely entertaining."

In the interest of science - and you, dear reader, know that I do all in the interest of science - I watched this movie last night for what I believe was the 5th time. I had to do SOMETHING to cleanse my brain of "Hot Tub Time Machine," which I watched yesterday afternoon at the theater. That one made "Friends and Lovers" look like, well, Iron Man. (See prior review of Friends and Lovers, and if you still want to blow $20, go see Hot Tub Time Machine. If not, send me your $20 for sparing your eyes and brain cells.) I didn't pay to get in and I STILL wanted my money back. Just say no, babe. Just say no.

Anyhoo, I came home and watched Iron Man again because I knew that I hadn't reviewed it yet, and I'm "between movies" with Netflix. If you are one of the few unfortunates who hasn't actually SEEN Iron Man, stop reading immediately and go buy it at Wal-Mart. I adore, adore, adore Iron Man. Every thing about it is cool. Tony Stark is cool. The music is cool. The red and gold suit is cool. Remember how great the first Spider-Man was? Well, Iron Man is better than Spider-Man.

I want to point out the whack performance by Jeff Bridges, which is something I don't ever remember hearing about in the many, many reviews of Iron Man. In an action film, you discover something profound about its players. Either they can act, or they can't. Either they run the plot, or the plot runs them. RDJR and Jeff Bridges were in charge the entire time, there's no doubt about it.

So, for the first 3 or so times I watched it, I wasn't sure if Gwyneth was the best casting for Pepper Potts - as if a player like Tony Stark wouldn't be all over her from day one - but she's growing on me (and nobody asked me who to cast, go figure). I do take issue with her ridiculous shoes, however; they are completely out of character. She's wearing, like, 5-inch heels the whole time.

Iron Man 2 - 39 more days.

Need I even type the number - Iron Man is a 10. Yes, I liked it better than Sherlock.

No comments:

Post a Comment