Saturday, July 17, 2010

Review #55 - The Last Party (1993)

So, my little chickens, today I did my first "video on demand" through Amazon and watched "The Last Party." Ergo - I have no Netflix summary for you. Suffice it to say that Robert Downey did a documentary about the 1992 Presidential election. He went to both conventions. He interviewed Sean Penn and Jerry Falwell. Get the idea?

You all know of my love for the documentary format. For those of you know don't really watch documentaries, it is with a heavy heart that I tell you this tidbit about them - their quality varies WIDELY.

Side note - last night I tried to watch 2 different documentaries on Netflix and shut them both down in the first 5 minutes. Babbling brooks...closeups of flowers...yawn.

Anyhow, back to the business at hand. There were a few points where Our Hero was interviewing various and sundry pundits, where I felt my eyes begin to glaze over. All I could hear was "Charlie Brown Teacher Voice," Wah wah wah wah. I was vindicated on 2 occasions, when the camera panned to RDJR, and it was obvious from his expression that he was thinking the same thing.

I recall the 1992 election because it was the first presidential election I voted in. Other than that, not a lot of sticking points for me. It was fascinating to go back 18 years and see what people were marching in the streets about...anybody remember the last time you saw an AIDS protest? Bill Clinton was going to come in and save the day, wrestling our country back from the hands of those whose only goal in life is to oppress anyone who isn't a white male.

Well, gee...that went well, didn't it.

So, how was this documentary? The usual pseudo-neutral crap. All Democrats are young, hip, liberal, mercy-filled activists. All Republicans are fat, white, bigoted Christian idiots. Interspersed between these cardboard stand-ups we would find some self-indulgent shots of Our Hero doing quirky stuff that evidently is supposed to endear us to him. Don't get me wrong, I'd pee my pants if I ever actually saw him in person, but anyone who actually respects this documentary has got a really bad case of "this film is the product of Robert Downey Jr., the most talented actor of his generation, and therefore it just be brilliant, because after all, it was made by Robert Downey Jr., the most talented actor of his generation. Long live Chaplin" disease.

Fifty minutes into it, I was amazed at how SLOWLY time could pass. I give it a 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment