Friday, January 15, 2010

Review #7 - Weird Science (1985)

Well, scrunch my leg warmers. It's time to review an 80's flick.

Right off the bat, in the name of science, let me say that John Hughes films are an magical entity of their own, and cannot possibly be subjected to a mediocre 1-10 review scale. Anyone born between 1965 and 1973 has a genetic predisposition to loving John Hughes films. I can't help it folks; it's in my DNA. So do not expect me to be objective.

Plot line, in case you can't remember - 2 horny teenagers (Anthony Michael Hall and some other kid who probably is selling used cars with Gary Coleman now) decide to build themselves a human Barbie doll (Kelly LeBrock, lately of VHI Celebrity Fit Camp) to do with as they see fit. Mayhem ensues.

RDJR plays one of 2 nasty mean little teenagers who antagonize our protagonists, with an adorable little gap between his front teeth like Madonna.

I gotta say, it's a blast watching JH films as an adult. Ah, the hair. Ah, the eyeliner. Ah, the neon. Ah, the gratuitous cussing and sexual references that are completely superfluous to a plot, if said exists. So many fashion tips packed into 90 minutes of entertainment.

If you are a carrier of the JH movie gene, as defined by the scientific guidelines I have disclosed to you above, take my advice. Watch Pretty In Pink, the Breakfast Club, and Weird Science again. Just don't let your kids watch because there's too much cussing.

Side note - where, exactly, were OUR parents when we were watching this stuff at 15? Mine were probably watching Dallas and playing Tripoly.

I give this film 1 neon mesh off-the-shoulder shirt and one-half an arm's length of jelly bracelets.

Totally Tubular Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment