Friday, February 12, 2010

Review #21 - Zodiac (2007)

Mostly because I wanted to get out of the house, my son and I hit Blockbuster tonight. This is a 3-day weekend, you know, and I managed to make it home with 3 RDJR movies from my list, along with a copy of "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs." Just so we are all clear, I won't be reviewing that one; I will, however, be watching it tomorrow afternoon with my 10-year old. I predict an utterly scientific President's Day.

So, here's what the back of the case has to say about Zodiac:

"Based on the true story of the notorious serial killer and the intense manhunt he inspired, Zodiac is a superbly crafted thriller from the director of Seven and Panic Room. Featuring an outstanding ensemble cast led by Jake Gyllenhaal, Robert Downey Jr., Mark Ruffalo and Chloe Sevigny, Zodiac is a searing and singularly haunting examination of twin obsessions: one man's desire to kill and another's quest for truth."

Point number one - this movie was long. Point number two - I really wish I could have seen it in the theater. Point number three - I have no clue how a movie is cast, but whomever handles that earned their paycheck on this film. You know how sometimes you watch a film and think, "Gee if only (fill in the blank) would have played (fill in the blank), this movie would have been perfect!" Well, you don't have that problem here. Everyone is exactly the right fit.

Side note - I'm amazed that Variety hasn't contacted me yet, crawling across broken glass and begging me to write for them - my grasp on Hollywood is truly profound, isn't it.

Anyhoo, this was a fabulous movie...if you are into crime drama, watch it.

I give this one a 9.

No comments:

Post a Comment