Saturday, February 20, 2010

Review #27 - Fur: An Imaginary Portrait of Diane Arbus (2006)

So, my friend Jessica got this one from Netflix, and since she's really into science, she let me watch it before it got sent back. That's what friends are for, baby.

Netflix says:

"Nicole Kidman stars as controversial photographer Diane Arbus, an acclaimed artist who took her own life in 1971, in this provocative biopic. Known for her bizarre and often disturbing black-and-white images that captured both the mundane and the unusual with a dreamlike clarity, she became the first American photographer to have her work exhibited at the Venice Biennale--but not until after her death."

That, dear reader, is what you call a "history lesson", NOT a "movie summary."

Anyhoo, back to the topic at hand. You and I fall into one of two camps -- Diane Arbus fans, and people who have never heard of Diane Arbus. If you are in "camp 1", you are probably all jazzed about now, thinking that this film will give you some sort of magical, mystical insight into your favorite photographer. If you are in "camp 2", and you like to learn new stuff, you are probably thinking that this film will give you some sort of magical, mystical insight into an American artist, and perhaps improve your chances during Final Jeopardy.

Sorry, my dears. This is not that kind of film. In fact, it should be retitled "Fur: An American Fairy Tale." You gain little, if any, insight into the mind of Diane Arbus. She is Any Woman. She is Every Woman. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, mind you. I just think that the film's title, and perhaps its direction, seemed a bit misled. Perhaps inspired by Diane Arbus' work, but certainly not a biopic. The confusion between inspiration vs. biographic intent makes it feel, oh, muddy, I guess, at times.

But I did like it. It was a fable, a fairy tale. It was Aesop with full frontal nudity (the necessity of which, or lack thereof, is a topic for another post). It was pretty, and at the same time disturbing, and at the same time touching, and at the same time tragic.

RDJR is "Lionel", and I'll describe him as Diane's muse and leave it at that. As far as his appearance goes, I'd know those eyes and that walk anywhere....and you can watch and see what I'm talking about.

I give this one an 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment