Saturday, February 27, 2010

Review #29 - The Pick-Up Artist (1987)

This is, like, totally what Netflix says:

"Carefree lady-killer Jack Jericho (Robert Downey Jr.) seduces women by the dozen. But the tables abruptly turn when he meets beautiful (and totally indifferent) museum guide Randy Jensen (Molly Ringwald), who agrees to a one-night stand and them dumps him. Stymied and completely smitten, Jack keeps pursuing Randy - and, along the way, helps her alcoholic father erase a huge gambling debt he owes to the mob."

As you know, dear reader, I purposely avoid reading reviews of the films before I watch them, as to keep my scientific integrity. I do recall, however, reading a one-liner for this film a while ago, and it has stuck with me. The reviewer described The Pick-Up Artist as the "movie which single-handedly destroyed Molly Ringwald's career." Ouch.

So, what to say about this film. It was very (mercifully) short, under 1 hour and 20 minutes. It was directed by Toback, and appears to have actually had a script, which is a novel idea for him. It sucked. It pains me to say that, because in 1987, I pretty much wanted to BE Molly Ringwald.

Our hero still had that precious little gap between his teeth. And he seemed to fall down a lot, which was actually rather endearing. So for that, I give it a 3.5.

No comments:

Post a Comment