Saturday, April 17, 2010

Review #41 - Soapdish (1991)

Guess what, my little chickens? Netflix has added yet another RDJR classic to its lineup of "instant streaming". So, rather than wait two whole days for my next dvd to arrive in the mail, we get to review another movie TONIGHT! C'est Magnifique!

Summary, courtesy of Netflix: "Soap opera star Celeste Talbert (Sally Field) gets desperate when she finds out that her rival, Montana Moorehead (Cathy Moriarty), has been trying to get producer Barnes (Robert Downey Jr.) to write Celeste off the show. And since Barnes has eyes for Montana, Celeste must scramble to keep her job. Now, the cast and crew's latest antics produce enough dirty laundry to keep everyone in hot water in director Michael Hoffman's Golden Globe-nominated hit."

For some reason, this summary leaves out Kevin Kline - who is one of my favorite actors; Carrie Fisher, Elizabeth Shue, Teri Hatcher and Whoopi Goldberg. So, do me a favor and mentally add them to the list. Got it? Okay, we'll proceed.

Side note - my youngest thinks Whoopi Goldberg and Oprah Winfrey are the same person. Go figure. Whenever he sees a picture of Whoopi, he says, "Look, it's Oprah". No, I don't get it either.

This was a silly little film about a silly little topic. It had a lot of big names, as you can see. Carrie Fisher was completely wasted (I mean under-utilized as an actress, not drunk) which was a shame, because she can be pretty darn funny. Our hero was TV producer (I think that's what he was, let's not get too wrapped up in the details) David Barnes, and out of loyalty, I would LIKE to say that he had his moments. But again, anyone could have been put in that role and it really would not have mattered. Sorry babe, I'm a scientist, not a groupie.

Kevin Kline rocks. Sally Field - well, let's face it, she's one of the most talented working actresses today. Everyone else was, well, interchangeable for just about anyone else.

If you have Netflix, and if you are looking for a pleasant but forgettable diversion, go ahead and stream it. Otherwise, don't lose any sleep over it.

This movie is a 6.5.

2 comments:

  1. One of my favorites moments was when they were trying to resurrect the character that had been decapitated!

    "How am I suppose to write for a guy who doesn't have a head?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know Kludge personally, but I love him because he can quote obscure movie lines.

    ReplyDelete