Friday, May 28, 2010

Review #49 - The Shaggy Dog (2006)

From our friends at Netflix: "In this remake of the classic Disney comedy - retooled for contemporary audiences - harried attorney Dave Douglas (Tim Allen) finds himself cuddling up to his wife (Kristin Davis) and kids (Zena Grey and Spencer Breslin) in his new role as the family pet and becoming is own best friend. The supporting cast includes "SNL" alum Jane Curtin and Robert Downey Jr., who plays an odious yuppie capitalist."

First disclaimer - I've seen bits and pieces of this movie a half dozen times, but never all the way through. I also did not see the original version. Go figure.

Again I am faced with losing any and all respect that you, my dearest reader, may have for me. You see me as witty, wise, sarcastic, profoundly hip? Why, yes, I am. But I still liked this movie.

It was not without missteps. Kristin Davis - too young to be "mom" and wife to Tim Allen. Sorry. But the courtroom scenes were fabulous. And, I must confess, I like Tim Allen. There, I said it. I am bourgeois to the extreme. Let's all go to Costco and eat a hot dog in our NASCAR t-shirts. So shoot me.

Our Hero plays Mr. Jerk, and of course he does it well. I'm not entirely sold on RDJR doing family movies. He oozes crassness, even when he doesn't try to...which is fabulous in all his "normal" films, but disconcerting in a kid flick. Eddie Murphy was able to make that leap successfully. I just don't see Our Hero doing it.

Am now wondering if "crassness" is a word. "Crassisity"? "Crassundity"? "Crassfularity"?

You get the idea.

So, I'm going to give it an 8 and go get me some pork rinds at Wal-Mart.

No comments:

Post a Comment