Saturday, July 3, 2010

Review #54 - Johnny Be Good (1988)

From our Netflix source: "Johnny Walker (Anthony Michael Hall) is a nice, normal teenage boy who happens to be a star football player -- such a star that he's got every college in America bucking to get him on their team. As he's lured and baited with a dizzying array of extracurricular temptations, can Johnny really be good -- and stay that way? Robert Downey Jr. co-stars."

I preface my review by going on the offense. Dearest reader, if you after reading this, you think I'm an uncultured pinhead, well - get your own blog. That being said - I didn't completely hate this movie. There...I said it. "My name is Tina, and I'm addicted to corny 80's movies." The appropriate response is, "Hi, Tina."

Okay, so Our Hero is freshly veneered and was pretty darned adorable, if I do say so myself. Uma Thurman, who really needed the number of RDJR's dentist, plays Anthony Michael Hall's girlfriend. She was annoying, clueless, eye-rolling, mouth-gaping. You know, your typical 17 year old girl. So I guess she was either really in character, or she was actually pretty close to 17.

The film could have been worse...trust me, we've seen worse over the past 6 months. (Anybody remember 'Hail Caesar'?) It was fun. The interaction between Our Hero and Hall is, well, great. Unfortunately said interaction was interspersed with some dorky content and, well, Uma.

---Momentary interruption--- Okay, people, I'm running out of adjectives to describe the performing arts. Let's see YOU try to be clever on your 54th review in 6 months, which you are writing at 10 a.m. on a Saturday after eating last night's leftover garlic fries. Geesh.

Back to business. I kinda feel sorry for Anthony Michael Hall, don't you? Didn't you just adore him in The Breakfast Club? "I'm in the Physics Club. We have a banquet every year and our parents come." Come to think of it, nobody from The Brat Pack really works much anymore, do they. I wonder where Anthony Michael Hall is today...I sense a Google coming on.

Anyhow - I'm going with a 5.5 on this one.

This is a holiday weekend. Enjoy yourselves, my little chickens, and dream tonight of obscure movies and witticisms crafted for you by a chocolate-haired beauty with dancing blue eyes. And make sure I have on a nice dress, I've always wanted to own a really nice dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment