Sunday, July 11, 2010

You are the Fourth to Know

I have carefully considered your responses to my last post, regarding impending doom and destruction. Run out to meet it, or hang on to the bloody end? Well, yesterday I decided to run out and shake its clammy little hand, and it is now done.

I'm leaving my church.

For all you non-Christians out there, there are specific steps set forth in the Bible that a church must take to "discipline" one of its own. The powers that be at my church have decided that I am in need of such discipline. You see, my husband has the ear of the elders, and has managed to convince them that he has done absolutely everything, short of stopping the earth's rotation, to win me back, and that I'm just being obstinate and a generally crappy wife. In this particular case, "everything to win me back" includes spending 12+ hours on the Internet every day, using profanity non-stop, ignoring me, and cessation of personal hygiene. I know, I know - what a jewel.

So this week, to punish me, I was removed from my ministry positions in the church. The next step would be to be confronted by the elders, and then a vote to remove me from membership. After consideration, I've decided not to subject my children and my friends to this shame and to just voluntarily go. And so that's what I'm doing.

I know that God will judge between me and those who have spoken against me, and I'm not afraid of that day. In the meantime, I wish them well and hope that maybe at least one of them has learned something from this experience.

Now I'm in the market for a new church....I will keep you posted.

3 comments:

  1. Bravo, Tina! I am so proud of you! You need to be somewhere where the people appreciate you and realize what an amazing person you are. I don't see how anyone could doubt your awesomeness, but it makes me want to jab out their eyeballs with a shiv. All hail our brave and fearless leader!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.... yet another reason I don't like churches. What happened to LOVE you fellow man and all that?? I am sorry, I know your faith and church are important to you and I am almost ready to fly west and start goin' redneck on 'em.

    I Believe in God. I believe that He DOES know what's best and that he DOES take care of everybody they way they deserve and need to be taken care of.

    You are a GREAT person, an AWESOME mother and a really good friend. God WILL take care of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear this! I'm not sorry you made the decision to leave - it's just sad it came to this.

    I've kind of been there with the same church family. It's been quite the process, but it's still super cool to see how Jesus walks with you.

    Three big things I've learned/am learning:
    (1) My integrity stands, no matter how much I've wanted to set people straight or have longed that they make some sort of effort to figure out the truth. Your integrity stands, and any areas where you or I don't have integrityy is a ripe opportunity for us to grow.
    (2) Give grace to those who don't extend it to you - both sides need it just as much!! We're not any better or worse than they are and we all need Jesus just as much... Pray against bitterness - it creeps up on you. Love love love grace grace grace.
    (3) Romans 8 is awesome - there is NO condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus!!

    I don't know, Tina - it's such a crazy and painful thing. It's so incredibly sad. I still pray for miracles, though I don't think I could ever feel safe in that church again. I love them all anyways.

    Even with all of that to say I can't imagine what you're going through. Blech. We're all such messes. :-P

    Nothing surprises Jesus - ever. He's got things up His sleeve for you that You couldn't imagine!!

    /hugs!!!

    <3 Chris

    ReplyDelete