Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Review #65 - Firstborn (1984)

Ah, the movie has arrived! My VHS copy of "Firstborn" has finally found its way to us. It comes sans box...so I had to take this summary from imdb.com:

"Because he's the oldest, Jake has been the man of the house, since his parents' divorce. When Mom starts seeing Sam, who always seems to be trying some new way to get rich quick, and declares he's the man of the house now, Jake puts up with it. Until he discovers Sam's illegal activities."

Mom is Teri Garr - Sam is Peter Weller - Jake, the oldest son, is some guy - and the little brother Brian is Corey Haim. Our Hero plays "weird friend", a role he perfected in the mid 80's.

So, at this point in our relationship, dear reader, you might think you can predict my reviews...so go for it. Stop right now and predict what I'm going to say about this 80's flick which was never released on DVD.

WRONG!!!! I actually LIKED this movie. I think, in fact, that it should be required viewing for every divorced woman with kids before she starts dating. Be careful, Ms. Divorcee, or you could end up a cokehead with Peter Weller sleeping on your couch all day.

The movie was good because it wasn't over the top. Mom's boyfriend, although a drug dealing junkie, put in a little effort with the kids, in his own sad way. Mom started doing drugs but didn't turn into a prostitute with track marks up and down her arms. And in the end -spoiler alert - the oldest son didn't kill mom's boyfriend, and all the problems the boyfriend caused didn't magically resolve themselves.

So, yes, I liked it. Frankly, I don't know why it hasn't been released on DVD. A lot worse crapola sure has been.

I give it a 7.5.

No comments:

Post a Comment