Sunday, January 24, 2010

Review #13 - The Futurist (2005)

In the epic, longstanding tradition of thespians-turned-musicians, ala Don Johnson, Eddie Murphy and Bruce Willis - RDJR released an album in 2005 entitled "The Futurist." Don't recall that one? Well, me either. Recall Don's, Eddie's or Bruce's? Well, I do, because it was the 80's and I owned them all. Cassettes, baby. So there.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. Yes, I realize that this is not a film, but we must consider a full body of work, must we not? So I ordered the CD from Amazon, along with the soundtrack to Sherlock Holmes for my 10-year-old, who is currently obsessed with same literary character.

Side note - wow, I can't recall the last time I bought a CD, can you?

Our hero wrote all the songs, provides vocals and piano, and probably various other sundry instruments. I am not so interested in science that I will go out to my car and get the jacket to check.

Did I like it? yes yes yes yes yes. Yes.

The music takes a jazzy, bluesy, Dave Matthews turn. The album has a sensual, indie feel to it, like it was produced as a labor of love and not for commercial appeal - like RDJR really didn't care if you bought it or not, so long as the end result sounded the way he wanted it to. That is meant, by the way, as a compliment. And don't bother trying to sing along to any of these songs, it's not that kinda record, baby.

This album makes me want rent one of those rooms at Sun Mountain with the big, fancy jetted tub, surround it with candles, and just soak while it plays in the background. It's sexy music.

Wikipedia tells me that RDJR has no intention of ever releasing another album, which is a shame. I would love to hear a follow-up.

I give this album a 9. Download on your ipod, especially "5:30", that one's my favorite. I predict it will be in my car CD player for a while.

1 comment:

  1. Got it LOVE it!!! It's a BIG change from NIN and Buckcherry and Nickleback, but a welcome change at that. I needed some wine and cheese slices and a more comforatable chair than my truck, tho'! Thanks!! You should try Marc Broussard (download "Home") CD titled "Carrancao" (spelling?)...It's also awesome! Very mellow, but with more upbeat-y stuff.

    ReplyDelete