Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Review #38 - Air America (1990)

Ladies and gentlemen, may I present Netflix: "Flyboys Gene Ryack (Mel Gibson) and Billy Covington (Robert Downey Jr.) transport cargo - everything from food to animals to contraband - for a clandestine CIA operation set up to help finance the Vietnam War. Though Ryack is onboard for the mission, Covington harbors doubts about its ethical implications. But when it becomes apparent that a higher value is placed on the cargo than on the men delivering it, Ryack questions his involvement."

I watched this film with my 10-year old. I think perhaps I shall address it from both of our perspectives.

From my perspective: I have 2 words and 1 number for you. "Mel Gibson" and "1990." Holy Hannah, Batman. Do you guys REMEMBER what he looked like 20 years ago? Wow.

Okay, so here's the film, in a nutshell. Some stuff happens with planes, then Mel comes out and says something witty. And then he smiles and his gorgeous eyes sparkle mischievously. Sigh. Some other stuff happens with other people, and then Mel says some more stuff and laughs mischievously. Sigh. I'm not sure what else happened. Oh, and Robert Downey was in it, I think - but then Mel said something and stared intently into the camera and I kinda forgot the rest.

Tav's perspective might be a little less biased. He asked me the following questions, repeatedly and with increasing frustration: "What is this movie supposed to be about??" "How much longer is it??" "What is this movie supposed to be about, again??" "Is this a funny movie??"

Okay, he pretty much summed it up. This film was either a lousy drama or a flat comedy, take your pick. It never really went anywhere I wanted to go. I think it tried to be dramedy and get all social conscience on me, but it was so muddy I didn't really weep the requisite bucket of tears or tap my chin in a "wow, my thoughts are provoked" manner.

Did you ever notice how dazzlingly white Mel's teeth are?

Uh, a number. Well, I didn't hate it. So let's go with a 5.

3 comments:

  1. Well it's been years since I've seen that movie. But Mel is awesome...sorry RDjr.
    With all my love ... Fizz

    ReplyDelete
  2. SoapDish gets a 6.5 and Air America gets a 5? I thought it was about another Nixon era conspiracy in Vietnam...

    I've not seen this in years, so maybe I'm just forgetting the boring parts...

    ReplyDelete