Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Review #42 - Home for the Holidays (1995)

And now a word from our Netflix sponsor: "Claudia Larson is heading home for yet another chaotic and exasperating family Thanksgiving. But a new visitor offers some interesting possibilities. If they can duck the flying turkeys, this romance just may have a chance."

Details much? Geesh, people - work with me here.

So, Holly Hunter plays Claudia Larson, and RDJR is her brother. Our feature opens with Claudia getting ready to take off to mommy and daddy's for Thanksgiving - and in the short span of leaving work and getting to the airport, she manages to get fired, make out with her boss, and get informed by her teenage daughter that said daughter plans on losing her virginity while mom's gone.

At this point, I'm already loving this movie.

If you've ever endured a bad family meal, you have to see this movie. The Thanksgiving dinner scene will have you speechless. My absolute favorite part is crazy Auntie "reminiscing" about her brother-in-law as her first love. This, apparently, was a news flash to everyone, including said brother-in-law. Hysterical.

Anyway, I'm not going to give you too many details on this one, because I think you should watch it for yourself. I really liked it. I'm sure I'll get a smattering of "I can't believe you gave Home for the Holidays a higher score than (fill in the blank)" posts and e-mails, but it is what it is. I can't help how I feel. Cosmic forces are at work here; in addition to, of course, science.

By the way - parts of our hero's performance were manic and over the top, almost as if he were, oh, hopped up on cocaine or something. Ahem.

I give this one an 8 and yes, I plan on buying it.

1 comment:

  1. Is this the movie where the turkey gets launched?! Hysterical!

    For all of us with extremely dysfunctional families (just about everyone)This movie speaks to us!

    ReplyDelete