Monday, April 12, 2010

View #39 - Tropic Thunder (2008)

Ain't nothin' but a thang from Netflix: "In the spirit of Apocalypse Now and Platoon, this combat film send-up from director-star Ben Stiller tracks a group of actors who are forced to become real-life soldiers when they're abandoned in the jungles of Southeast Asia. The all-star cast includes Robert Downey Jr (in an Oscar-nominated role), Jack Black, Matthew McConaughey, and Nick Nolte, with an unrecognizable (and Golden Globe nominated) Tom Cruise playing a crude movie mogul."

Ah, Tropic Thunder. In the interest of science, I do have to disclose to you, my dearest reader, that I've already seen this movie. Twice. I also need to disclose to you that, if Ben Stiller is in it, I'm predisposed to loving it.

The first 15 minutes of Tropic Thunder are perfect. Geez, this was my third time seeing it, and I still laughed non-stop during the intro. Ben Stiller and RDJR - this is a good combo, people. Note to Hollywood - put these 2 together in anything and charge whatever you want. I will pay whatever you ask to see it. There's this scene where RDJR and Ben are discussing the concept of going "full retard" - again, third time seeing it, and I thought I was going to pee, it was so funny.

I wish I could say the whole film is that great, but it does run out of steam at the end. Sorry, Ben - you know I love you. But I am, first and foremost, a scientist.

RDJR was nominated for an Oscar, and he should have won. Hello, if Marisa Tomei could win for My Cousin Vinny - our hero could win for this.

Yes, the language was over the top. Yes, besides our hero and Ben Stiller, all the other characters were interchangeable. But it was like watching "There's Something About Mary" - you find yourself peeking through your fingers, laughing that uneasy "OHHHHH" laugh and all the while thinking, "I can't believe I'm watching this." And you watch it anyway.

This one's an 8, for RDJR's performance and Ben Stiller's...well...Stiller-ness.

1 comment:

  1. Please tell me you watched it with the actor commentary on. RDJ does almost the entire thing as Osiris then he transitions into Kirk Lazarus and then finally Robert Downey Jr. It's an improv masterpiece! If you haven't listened to it yet, I'm sorry, but you're going to have to rent it again. It's that good. Better than the movie in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete