Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Review #56 - Luck, Trust & Ketchup: Robert Altman in Carver Country (1993)

This documentary is part of the "bonus features" from the film "Short Cuts". We reviewed "Short Cuts", a film based upon a series of short stories by Raymond Carver, a while back. We loved it, but it was waaaaaaay too long at over 3 hours.



Anyhow, my first thought about this flick was, "hey, I've read Raymond Carver...he wrote 'Catbird Seat'." And then I realized that was James Thurber. So now I can't honestly recall if I've read any Raymond Carver. Chime in, dearest reader, if you have. Did you know that Raymond Carver was a local boy? That's right, born and raised in Yakima. So now I'm obligated, as a fellow eastern Washingtonian, to read his work.



The documentary was really interesting, but don't bother watching it until you've seen Short Cuts, or it will ruin a few pivotal plot points for you. Watching filmmaking in progress is fascinating...if you've never watched one of these types of documentaries, pick out your favorite dvd and scan the Special Features section. There's probably something on it about "The Making of" whatever. If you don't think it's so fascinating....sorry.



The absolute best part was when RDJR came on for his interview and used the word "tertiary" in a sentence. I was impressed.



Anyhow, I give it a 9 because it held my attention for 90 minutes, which is no small feat, and that's also what I probably would have given Short Cuts, if it wasn't so flippin' long.

No comments:

Post a Comment