Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Review #60 - Too Much Sun (1991)

Another VHS, courtesy of the Satchel from Hell:

"Robert Downey, Jr., Eric Idle, Ralph Macchio, Andrea Martin, and Leo Rossi star in this zany comedy of sexual confusion among the very rich. As the two eccentric children of a Beverly Hills millionaire, Sonny (Eric Idle) and Bitsy (Andrea Martin) are used to the good life. But when a crooked priest murders their father, they learn that they'll lose their $200 million inheritance unless once of them produces an heir within a year. The ensuing game of sexual musical chairs is further complicated by the arrival of Robert Downey, Jr. and Ralph Macchio as a pair of two-bit hustlers willing to be "adopted" for the right price. Directed by counter-culture hero Robert Downey (who also directed Putney Swope and Up the Academy), Too Much Sun is a raunchy and irreverent look at the lives of the rich and famous."

So, when I started this little Project 9 months ago, I figured that I'd learn a little about RDJR, and I guess I have. What I didn't anticipate was learning something about RDSR. I didn't even know such a person existed a year ago. CLARIFICATION: Well, obviously I understand how babies are conceived, and I understood that there was a Robert Downey Sr. on the planet...I MEANT that I didn't know he was a filmmaker. Geesh, do I have to explain everything?

Anyhow, Robert Downey Sr., rogue filmmaker, "counter-culture hero", has a REAL PROBLEM with religion. He has managed to bash Christians in all his films I've seen so far...and, unfortunately, I haven't yet completed my counter-culture viewing opportunities. Ugh. I think he actually has an equation for his films: (T + A) + (Christian bashing) - (Plot) = Movie. Methinks somebody needs to put the camera down and get himself a wee bit of therapy.

This film was made to be endured, not enjoyed. If you are into meditation, and want to test your tenacity at remaining focused upon your inner self, plug this one into your VCR. I guarantee that you will put yourself into whatever state is necessary to prevent making eye contact with the TV. Yes, I said VCR - for some reason, this gem hasn't made it to dvd.

Toback would watch this and think it's stupid. That's how incredibly moronic it is.

So, I'm going with a 1. Again.

2 out of the bag, 1 to go.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Tina, just wanted to say your blog rocks! Being an RDJ fan and all, I think this is an inspired project you've got going on. Should have found this blog sooner.

    Best of luck in finishing the project this year!

    Sasha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sasha - Thanks! Glad you stopped by. I hope you read some of the older posts - the movies that are left on my list are rather...well...LACKING. That being said, RDJ is the man, is he not?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did go through your older posts, and especially enjoyed your reviews of RDJ's films that I also adore. Couldn't agree with you more about Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and Iron Man.

    I've bookmarked your blog so you'll probably see me lurking around again soon. Have a good day!

    Sasha

    ReplyDelete